Empower yourself by learning about free software and protecting yourself from programs like PRISM. You probably got here by grabbing one of our promo packets. If so, congratulations! You've got a powerful collection of software in your hands.
If you're fresh from a cryptoparty, don't worry we'll post materials on this wiki soon.
- We're currently working on screencasts for the installation steps and expect to have them up by May 3, 2014.
- In the meantime, try out that DVD! If you picked one up, it's the Packet 02 TAILS disc listed below.
We've been giving away two different DVDs in our "Top Secret" packets. To find out which one you have, just try it out!
- Contents of Packet 01: Trisquel GNU/Linux, a full operating system like Windows or Mac OSX. It's one of many distros out there made by volunteers all over the world. Trisquel contains 100% free software.
- Contents of Packet 02: TAILS, The Amnesiac Incognito Live System. It will boot without leaving any traces on your hard drives, like any other GNU/Linux LiveDVD/USB. However, it also sends all network traffic through Tor for anonymity and has a suite of encryption tools pre-installed.
- Pop the DVD in your computer and boot from it. On some computers, you'll have to hit F12, F2, ESC, DEL, or some other key combination and choose your CD/DVD drive.
- You will be asked when the DVD boots for your preferred language or, alternatively, be brought straight to a menu. If you see the menu, choose "Try without installing" and you're on your way! This Live DVD won't harm your computer or touch the files on your hard drive(s).
- When you reboot, whatever work you've done will disappear. If you are using TAILS, that's the point! If you are using Trisquel, you may install it to your computer at any time from the Live DVD and then you won't need to boot from it.
- Now that you know how to boot a Live DVD, you may want to try some of the other options for remaining private and anonymous online.
- Even if you don't want to use a GNU/Linux distro to remain anonymous, you can take a look at these web browsers.
Interested in the work we did at the New Haven Free Skool/PAC?
- Check out our past tech classes, where we talked about NSA spying, software, and what it means for artists, activists, and everyone.
- Explore "the A word" and take a look at our reading group and the books we've been digging into.
- Learn about Web Development with our materials from Spring 2013.
A BIG THANK YOU to everyone for their hard work at the Free Skools in both New Haven and Bridgeport. How to Keep in Touch: