Emdrup playground

From Anarchy in Action

Jump to: navigation, search

From Colin Ward, Anarchy in Action:

The Emdrup playground was begun in 1943 by the Copenhagen Workers' Co-operative Housing Association after their landscape archi­tect, C. T. Sorensen, who had laid out many orthodox playgrounds had observed that children seemed to get more pleasure when they stole into building sites and played with the materials they found there. In spite of a daily average attendance of 200 children at Emdrup, and that ' difficult' children were specially catered for, it was found that 'the noise, screams and fights found in dull playgrounds are absent, for the opportunities are so rich that the children do not need to fight'.